fot

Re: [Fot] Viton Rear Seal ?s

To: "'Rich'" <rikrock@live.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Viton Rear Seal ?s
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 20:44:36 -0600
Rich,
I have installed a number of these and feel that if you are measuring only
.020" that the seal may have crept during the install process.  This is easy
to have happen since there is a lot going on during the setting of the
crank.  First question would be, did you machine your own aluminum scroll
seal for the Marx seal or did you purchase the kit?  I know that the parts
provided in the kit are machined properly and that machining your own can
give inconsistent results.  I machine my own since I built a fixture to hold
the seal halves on the mill before the kit was available.

What I do after getting the crankshaft in place and the bearing caps
installed is take two medium screw drivers and work the seal gently into the
scroll shell.  When I feel it is fully seated I leave it alone until the
sealer/glue sets a little so the seal does not creep out.  I normally end up
with about a 1/16" between the crank flange and the face of the seal.

Now the most important part is to make sure that your flywheel bolts will
NOT EXTEND PAST THE INNER FACE OF THE CRANK FLANGE!!!!!  Too many people
have shredded the seals by using too long of a bolt.  Measure this twice to
ensure the bolts end up at the proper length.

It is a great seal setup and works far better than  the standard scroll or
Rover lip seal type of process.  The best of both worlds!

Steve Yott