fot

Re: [Fot] Cam Bearings expansion

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com> engine=2.50.10432:5.13.68,1.0.33,0.0.0000 definitions=2015-01-07_09:2015-01-07,2015-01-07,1970-01-01 signatures=0 suspectscore=2 phishscore=0 adultscore=0 bulkscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=7.0.1-1412080000 definitions=main-1501070231
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cam Bearings expansion
From: Scott Janzen via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:29:54 -0500
Cc: "FOT@autox.team.net" <FOT@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_55513ED0-FD1E-4FCA-A38A-A98775FF8FA7

Thanks, everyone for the feedback.  The first step will be to straighten =
the cam - the machinist I work with will use the same methods/tools he =
uses for crank straightening.  BTW, he says he rarely sees a new cam =
that is straight.

Next steps, if needed, vary.  Cleaning up high spots on the bearings =
with a sharp tool is one method, by looking for shiny spots after the =
cam is installed and rotated, then removed. The cam journals could also =
be polished down by 5/10,000, as they measure out at the high end of the =
factory spec.
Third alternative, and perhaps the one that addresses the other root =
cause, is to remove the cam bearings, check the block to see if the =
bores measure under the 1.969" spec, and if so, have the them line =
honed.  This would get everything in line and probably open up the =
bearing bores slightly to increase the very low installed bearing =
clearance.  However, it's the most expensive and most work, and trashes =
all the new cam bearings.

I'll report back.  I learn new things every time I tackle a new project =
- just wish I learned them in the right order!