fot

Re: [Fot] Cam Bearings expansion

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cam Bearings expansion
From: Larry Young via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 13:23:35 -0600
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s2048; d=yahoo.com; b=OKXbpFZShHmdIvxT2SsVmgbZ7Ig/ztQrHIWD0XZRo5T3LQb2MyCFrJ4XMX1AE13X7LgcxKFbWy/QLmWrYPeVkzp/CvnP+9/xPZyfC38cu1lzgdtaFBqJdrRl1QRR82Tz1saWoQjHO4abASX5TgIBkijCnM5drxwuXbcmRS/cYJrtxXRN+Laxf2bpboANDQzHuat0dUxr8kvEvl3XnRg6fJJ5QbhgMDVa1jSvKq36U/3Xa5ZHuZg7HVt8fkYSSXG11Fcau1I3yhy+PA46zvUgHTw2tlwQ5B+wKAkSVBfyZwgIxEuJg9pZrDew8RGILoXsuDRgKetlIX07DpRoxFJdmQ==;
--===============5208475116039092703==
 boundary="------------090805030506070707030103"

--------------090805030506070707030103

Oops, I got that wrong.  When you hit the cam it relieves the stresses
on the surface and causes it to curl away from where it is struck. Of
course, you will have to keep checking it and move around to hit it at
different spots.  The chisel should be curved and blunt to spread out
the blow.  You should hold the cam and push gently in the direction it
should move.  This is one of those operations that would be easier after
watching an old time machinist do it.

On 1/7/2015 3:56 PM, Larry Young via Fot wrote:
> It is not difficult to straighten cams yourself. You can do it with a
> blunt cold chisel and hammer, but I prefer to use an air hammer with a
> blunt rounded chisel.  Use V blocks and a dial indicator to check it
> and decide where it is bent. You hit the cam between the lobes, which
> relieves the stresses and causes it to curve up. It seems counter
> intuitive, but that is the way they bend. It has been a while since
> I've done it, but I believe that is how it's done with these cast iron
> blanks.  If it still doesn't fit, then have it ground to fit as Greg
> suggested.
>  - Larry Young

--------------090805030506070707030103

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Oops, I got that wrong.&nbsp; When you hit the cam it relieves the
    stresses on the surface and causes it to curl away from where it is
    struck. Of course, you will have to keep checking it and move around
    to hit it at different spots.&nbsp; The chisel should be curved and blunt
    to spread out the blow.&nbsp; You should hold the cam and push gently in
    the direction it should move.&nbsp; This is one of those operations that
    would be easier after watching an old time machinist do it.<br>
      Fot wrote:<br>
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      It is not difficult to straighten cams yourself. You can do it
      with a blunt cold chisel and hammer, but I prefer to use an air
      hammer with a blunt rounded chisel.&nbsp; Use V blocks and a dial
      indicator to check it and decide where it is bent. You hit the cam
      between the lobes, which relieves the stresses and causes it to
      curve up. It seems counter intuitive, but that is the way they
      bend. It has been a while since I've done it, but I believe that
      is how it's done with these cast iron blanks.&nbsp; If it still doesn't
      fit, then have it ground to fit as Greg suggested.<br>
      &nbsp;- Larry Young<br>

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive