fot

Re: [Fot] Steering Rack TR3

To: <riverside@southslope.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Steering Rack TR3
From: "Marcel Van Mulders" <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:51:22 +0100
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

I had a TR7 rack and pinion on my TR3 race car and it is possible to
eliminate the bump steer : the TR7 rack is about 57cm wide (distance between
the trackrods): this is just small enough to fit trackrods(inclusive rod
ends) of 22 à 23cm.
If a wider steering rack is fitted (wider than about 58cm), the trackrod
ends will touch the brake discs. Or you have to fit shorter track
rods(shorter than 22.5cm), but then, the bump steer can't be eliminated. For
instance, a TR4 rack is too wide and can not be used in a TR3. I believe the
steering rack of a classic Mini can be adapted to fit in a TR3.
PS : if I remember correctly, TR6 trackrods can be mounted on a TR7 rack and
have the correct length.
Marcel