fot

Re: [Fot] Cracked Head

To: damys@charter.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cracked Head
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 12:04:45 -0500
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a113ec3fead56900532a827a0

Darn Sorry to hear that.
I was looking forward to hearing about how it went at Brainard and RA.
Sorry you won't be making it to Road America.
How did it go at the test day anyway?
Were all the temps and pressure on par?

Its good that you found the problem at home and not after you hit the track.
On a separate note,
Perhaps you know this already;
But, I my infinite wisdom brought forth by those who raced before me...
GT6 racecars are not the best candidates to be driven onto the trailer.
A winch or a push is the only method that is Friendly Ghost Racing approved.
One of those little procedures that simply delays inevitable failure.

Hang in there. Hope you get it back together soon.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
1969 Triumph GT6+ Racecars

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:15 AM, <damys@charter.net> wrote:

> Started our GT6 Tuesday night to load it in the trailer for Elkhart and
> heard clanking. Thought we had sucked something into the intake. Turns out
> the exhaust seat in number 1 cylinder came loose and was pulverized.  Found
> a 1/2" crack between the intake and exhaust. Remarkably, no damage to the
> valves. Lots of seat dust on top of the piston.
>
> My head guy thinks he can pin the crack and overlap the seats to repair
> it.  I've probably read where this has been done before but can't remember.
>
> Has anybody done this with success?  Is there a water jacket between the
> exhaust and intake?  What are the possible causes for this crack?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave and Alex

--001a113ec3fead56900532a827a0

ard to hearing about how it went at Brainard and RA.</div><div>Sorry you wo=
n&#39;t be making it to Road America.</div><div>How did it go at the test d=
already; </div><div>But, I my infinite wisdom brought forth by those who=C2=
=A0raced before me...=C2=A0</div><div>GT6 racecars are not the best candida=
tes to be driven onto the trailer.</div><div>A winch or a push is the only =
method that is=C2=A0Friendly Ghost Racing=C2=A0approved.</div><div>One of t=
hose little procedures that simply delays inevitable failure.</div><div><br=
v class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, May 12, 2016=
 at 7:15 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:damys@charter.net"; ta=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex"><div><p>Started our GT6 Tuesday night to load it in the trai=
ler for Elkhart and heard clanking. Thought we had sucked something into th=
e intake. Turns out the exhaust seat in number 1 cylinder came loose and wa=
s pulverized.=C2=A0 Found a 1/2&quot; crack between the intake and exhaust.=
 Remarkably, no damage to the valves. Lots of seat dust on top of the pisto=
n.</p><p>My head guy thinks he can pin the crack and overlap the seats to r=
epair it.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve probably read where this has been done before but =
can&#39;t remember. </p><p>Has anybody done this with success?=C2=A0 Is the=
re a water jacket between the exhaust and intake?=C2=A0 What are the=C2=A0p=
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>