fot

Re: [Fot] Big Race at Road America

To: jason@multivintage.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Big Race at Road America
From: billdentin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:43:32 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

------=_Part_21510_1654159351.1468597412091

Jason...

Good Luck to you and Brian.  Have a great event. =20

The July vintage event at Road America is one of the oldest and grandest in=
 the country.  At the time it was started back in the 1970s, it was one of =
a half dozen or so vintage events held all year long.  Now there are often =
a half dozen vintage events on a single week end (which is NOT a good thing=
).  I sure wish I was going to be there with you.  The Beady Eye Vintage Tr=
iumph Racing Team entered that event for thirty-three years in a row, start=
ing back in 1981 when it was called the CHICAGO HISTORIC RACES, and promote=
d by Joe Marchetti and the Como Inn.  Those were heady days, with lots of p=
omp and circumstance.  The year Ferrari was the featured marque, Joe had op=
era music pumped through the PA system, and there were guys passing out col=
d, fresh grapes from wicker baskets.  Joe had style, and was 'a piece of wo=
rk'.  He was also very, very popular.

A piece of trivia:  to my knowledge only once has a TRIUMPH finished First =
Over All in a Feature Race at the July Road America event.  It happened in =
July 1991, and it was my TRIUMPH TR3.  I know that sounds impossible, but i=
t actually happened.  It took special circumstances.  That year Race Group =
2 (Vintage Production Based cars) had over 110 entries.  So it was cut in h=
alf (2A FAST cars and 2B NOT SO FAST cars).  As luck would have it, in that=
 second 2B NOT SO FAST race group, I was third on the grid behind an Elva a=
nd a Jaguar XK120.  On Sunday morning the Group 2B Feature Race was run in =
the rain.  On the first lap, I took the lead coming out of Turn Three and l=
ed the entire race.  The Elva driver was uncomfortable in the rain, but the=
 Jag was on my tail for the whole race.  I got sideways coming through the =
kink on the last lap, and the Jag got in front of me.  But I caught him in =
fourteen, got back in front, and took the checker First Overall.  As far as=
 I know, unless there was a TRIUMPH winner since 2014...that is the only ti=
me a TRIUMPH finished first overall in a feature race at the July vintage e=
vent at Road America.

Jason...you and Brian kick some butt at Road America.  Wish I could be with=
 you.

Bill Dentinger
=20