fot

Re: [Fot] Stub axle separation

To: Yellow04 <yellow04@tr4racer.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Stub axle separation
From: Bob Kramer <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 10:05:47 -0500
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
I have had at least 50% success with a 12" 3 leg puller. I loosen the nut and
either flip it over or replace with an all metal nut, and run it all the way
out to protect against mushrooming. I lube threaded rod before and during, the
tighten the nut with an 18v impact, and the strike the end of the puller with
at least a three pound hammer. I leave the stub axle assembly in the diff for
the so it helps if you have the diff firmly located. Between hammer blows I
often have to clean up the hex end but I get it done at home and keep moving.
When it doesn't work I borrow a 40 ton press and put a full trash pail
underneath to catch the flying objects. Eye protection is mandatory and ear
protection wouldn't hurt. It is loud!

Sent from my iPhone