fot

[Fot] valve spring pressure on TR4 race engine

Subject: [Fot] valve spring pressure on TR4 race engine
From: cartravel at pobox.com (Larry Young)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:00:01 -0600
Those are pretty close to the stock springs. Most likely your engine guy
is used to big American V8's with heavy valve trains.

I got very interested in cams and valve train dynamics when I started
racing 15 years ago. I tried to figure this stuff out using engineering
principals (always a dangerous idea). I read all the books and a ton of
SAE technical articles and have also done calculations with valve train
dynamic models. When the lash is first taken up at speed, it causes an
impact event, akin to smacking a tuning fork with a hammer. I don't
believe this situation is accurately modeled. So, the seat pressure is
basically determined experimentally. The ramp design and valve lash have
to be very important because it determines how hard you smack the tuning
fork and can effect things like valves bouncing off the seat at closing.
All too often I have found that cams from the usual suspects seem to
disregard the idea of ramp design - see the bottom of
http://tildentechnologies.com/Cams/Tip_Lash.html.

  - Larry