fot

[Healeys] Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil

Subject: [Healeys] Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 08:47:17 -0800
That's a little harsh, Gary.

After my initial post, I did some googling and found some anecdotal
'evidence;' here's just one example (from our LBC brethren):

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3222905

You can 'research' yourself by googling 'valvoline vr1 20w-50 banned in
california;' it appears others have thought the same.

I have no prefabricated agenda; I'm doing an expensive engine rebuild
for my BJ8 and want the best oil possible--for a reasonable price--for
the engine when I reinstall it (my cam lobes and tappet faces were
seriously worn).  I'd been buying VR1 for a while when the local parts
house told me 'we pulled it off the shelves.'  My engine builder--when
asked if VR1 was a good oil for older, flat tappet engines said 'Yeah,
but you can't get it in California.'  So, I got curious (and, in the
meantime, bought 3 cases online).

Banning VR1 made no sense, since other brands--Castrol, for one--still
claim 'adequate' ZDDP for older, flat tappet engines, and the consensus
seemed to be that many 20W-50 oils still had sufficient ZDDP since they
weren't likely to be used in newer cars with catalytic converters, but
that's the 'reading' I was getting from several sources.  I had resigned
myself to buying online and, with a full case order you can get free
shipping from Amazon at a better price than the parts house anyway.

I will confess to being a bit predisposed to assume the 'banned'
scenario; several products which I've found to be effective--3M's
adhesive remover, for one--appear* to be NLA in CA, and I think the best
upholstery adhesive I know of--Weldwood--hasn't been seen on shelves
around here for a while (I buy qt bottles from my upholsterer, who buys
5-gal cans from, well, I don't want to know where).  I'll also confess
to a poor choice of wording in my previous post--I was speculating and
should have made that clear for the nuance-challenged.

Full Disclosure:  I'm a native Californian--fourth-generation, to be
exact--and have mixed feelings about some of my state's political
actions (but have defended some of them on several occasions).  I can
attest to a dramatic improvement in our air quality over my lifetime,
and we have a ways to go.  I also have a background in chemistry--both
educational and in the workforce--so I understand the dangers of some
compounds--halogenated hydrocarbons in particular--being let loose in
the environment, so I stride both sides of the environmental arguments.
It should be noted CA does not require vehicle inspections--a serious
tax and hassle, IMO--and the state did us old car owners a solid when it
eliminated the smog check for pre-1968 cars.

I still don't have an answer as to why VR1 was pulled from store
shelves, but has now reappeared.  Either there was a
misunderstanding--possibly* with the SAE rating system--or, possibly*
Valvoline changed the formulation to comply*.

Bob

* NOTE: PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART.