fot

[Healeys] Rear axle ratios

Subject: [Healeys] Rear axle ratios
From: YNOTINK at msn.com (WILLIAM B LAWRENCE)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 01:30:46 +0000
The original final drive ratio for the BN1 was 4.125:1. This was using the
spiral bevel rear end. BN2 through BJ8 used the hypoid rear axle and the
standard final drive ratio through the BJ7 was 4.11:1.

There were several different ratios available for the spiral bevel set, but I'm
not sure what they were. The hypoid set was available in 3.909:1 for early
non-overdrive and late (BJ8) overdrive cars and in 3.54:1 for late
non-overdrive cars.

The 2660 has plenty of power to pull a higher ratio on the highway and since I
am using  a hypoid final drive in my car I have opted for the 3.54:1 ratio as
supplied by Mike Lempert. It is very pleasant in town or on the road.

Bill Lawrence

BN1 #554