fot

Re: [Fot] Weber vs Mikuni

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Weber vs Mikuni
From: Tony Drews via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:09:46 -0500

--------------2FAEB6FFA15FB681E7CF82D0

Good thought.  We had one where the tube to the jet had a little nick in
the end which caused a flap that partially covered the end.  Only showed
up under extended load, had a devil of a time finding the issue.

Tony

On 10/20/2018 6:58 AM, Phil Gott via Fot wrote:
> Speaking of holes in float bowls, the exit hole at the bottom that
> feeds the jet can also vary in size. Be sure itâ??s big enough and the
> hose to the jet is not crimped or restricted in any way. Mike did say
> he got a decent A/F ratio, so. It likely his issue, but it was with my
> TR.
> Phil
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 19, 2018, at 8:21 PM, Mike Harmuth via Fot <fot@autox.team.net
>
>> Thanks for all the great input. I think I'll stay with the SU's for
>> now and spend the money on Dyno time to see where the issue may be.
>>
>> mike h
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM fubog1 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net
>>
>>     These are some words of wisdom...
>>     Glen
>>     ps- I've found different size holes in the float valves, also
>>     grose jets are particularly restrictive.
>>
>>         The SU's are so simple minded and easy to work with I'd want
>>         to very certain that the was a BIG benifit before changing to
>>         jetted carbs that need a ton of parts of you are going to
>>         make use of the capacity of the units.

  <head>
  </head>
      nick in the end which caused a flap that partially covered the
      end.  Only showed up under extended load, had a devil of a time
      finding the issue.</p>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:DEC8A9DC-891F-4B53-A5E1-8F9AA6D3EF54@aol.com">
      Speaking of holes in float bowls, the exit hole at the bottom that
      feeds the jet can also vary in size. Be sure itâ??s big enough and
      the hose to the jet is not crimped or restricted in any way. Mike
      did say he got a decent A/F ratio, so. It likely his issue, but it
      was with my TR.
          On Oct 19, 2018, at 8:21 PM, Mike Harmuth via Fot &lt;<a
            href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
                with the SU's for now and spend the money on Dyno time
                to see where the issue may be.</div>
                Fot &lt;<a href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";
                  moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br>
                .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font
                  size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
                  color="black">
                      wisdom...</font></div>
                      holes in the float valves, also grose jets are
                      particularly restrictive.</font><br>

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">
                      blue;padding-left:3px">The SU's are so simple

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
                    Message-----<br>
                    From: Kas Kastner &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:kaskastner@gmail.com"; target="_blank"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">kaskastner@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
                    To: fubog1 &lt;<a href="mailto:fubog1@aol.com";
                      target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">fubog1@aol.com</a>&gt;<br>
                    Cc: Van Mulders Marcel &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be";
                      target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be</a>&gt;;
moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                    Sent: Fri, Oct 19, 2018 12:32 pm<br>
                    Subject: Re: [Fot] Weber vs Mikuni<br>
[...]
                              benifit you need to work at it.<br
                                clear="all">

class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699gmail_signature"
                                  dir="ltr">
                                        be beaten by
                          class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699gmail_quote">

class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699yqt4822778474"
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699yqtfd10159">
                              AM fubog1 via Fot &lt;<a rel="noopener
                                noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                              wrote:<br clear="none">

class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699gmail_quote"
                            style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px
                            #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699yqt4822778474"
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699yqtfd33561"><font size="2"
                                face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
                                color="black">
                                  clear="none">

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
                                Message-----<br clear="none">
                                From: van.mulders.marcel &lt;<a
                                  rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be</a>&gt;<br
                                  clear="none">
                                To: fubog1 &lt;<a rel="noopener
                                  noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fubog1@aol.com</a>&gt;<br
                                  clear="none">
                                Cc: fot &lt;<a rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                  shape="rect"
                                Sent: Thu, Oct 18, 2018 5:48 pm<br
                                  clear="none">
                                  clear="none">
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423">
style="font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;color:#000000">
                                        suppose you mean HS4? The SU
                                        logic is a little weird. 1" +
                                        1/2" = 6/8" so you would think
                                        it are HS6s, but when talking
                                        about HS carburettors, 1 + 1/2 =
                                        1 + 4/8 and they took the 4 to
                                        name these carbs HS4...</div>
                                      <hr
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423zwchr">
class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423yqt0596148954"
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423yqt61649">
                                            rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                            shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fubog1@aol.com</a>&gt;<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          <b>Aan: </b>"van mulders
                                          marcel" &lt;<a rel="noopener
                                            noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be</a>&gt;,
                                          "Mike Harmuth" &lt;<a
                                            rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                            shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">ofracer@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          <b>Cc: </b>"fot" &lt;<a
                                            rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                            shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          <b>Verzonden: </b>Donderdag
                                          18 oktober 2018 22:39:39<br
                                            clear="none">
                                          <b>Onderwerp: </b>Re: [Fot]
                                          Weber vs Mikuni<br
                                            clear="none">
style="color:black;font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:small"></span>
                                              style="font-size:small">Well
                                              I won't speculate on the
                                              cause, but I doubt that
                                              it's the SUs.<br
                                                clear="none">
                                              style="font-size:small">My
                                              small crank 1300 w/1 1/2s
                                              on a eurospec manifold
                                              w/Stahls header, "big"
                                              valve head, would buzz
                                              easily to 9k, still making
                                              power, if I let it.</span></div>
                                              style="font-size:small">Normal
                                              shift point
7800-8000.</span></div>
                                              style="font-size:small">FWIW...<br
                                                clear="none">

style="font-size:small">Glen</span><br
                                              clear="none">

                                            From: van.mulders.marcel---
                                            via Fot &lt;<a rel="noopener
                                              noreferrer" shape="rect"

                                            To: Mike Harmuth &lt;<a
                                              rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                              shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">ofracer@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br
                                              clear="none">
                                            Cc: fot &lt;<a rel="noopener
                                              noreferrer" shape="rect"

                                            Sent: Thu, Oct 18, 2018 2:12
                                            pm<br clear="none">
                                            Subject: Re: [Fot] Weber vs
                                            Mikuni<br clear="none">
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423">
style="font-family:Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;color:#000000">
                                                    wall at that
                                                    point..." : is it
                                                    possible this is
                                                    rather pointing to
                                                    the camshaft than to
                                                    the SU's? If it are
                                                    the carburettors,
                                                    maybe the power
                                                    would decrease more
                                                    gradually above 6500
                                                    rpm.</div>
                                                    choke per cylinder
                                                    is better, and 2
                                                    Webers 40 DCOE isn't
                                                    overkill I think</div>
                                                    trying HS6 SU's on
                                                    your actual
                                                    manifold?</div>
                                                    rpm is your engine
                                                    still reliable?</div>
                                                  <hr
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423zwchr">
class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423yqt0105059393"
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423yqt73080">
                                                      &lt;<a
                                                        rel="noopener
                                                        noreferrer"
                                                        shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                      <b>Aan: </b>"fot"
                                                      &lt;<a
                                                        rel="noopener
                                                        noreferrer"
                                                        shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                      <b>Verzonden: </b>Woensdag
                                                      15:49:45<br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                      <b>Onderwerp: </b>[Fot]
                                                      Weber vs Mikuni<br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                          into switching
                                                          out my twin
                                                          HS4s on the
                                                          1296 race
                                                          engine to
                                                          either Weber
                                                          or Mukinis. I
                                                          know this has
                                                          been done for
                                                          years and I'd
                                                          like to get
                                                          close the best
                                                          set up out of
                                                          the gate. <br
                                                          clear="none">
                                                          think the SUs
                                                          are up to the
                                                          task of moving
                                                          enough air
                                                          with the new
                                                          ported head
                                                          and Stahl
                                                          header. I've
                                                          worked on the
                                                          SUs and gotten
                                                          them to
                                                          finally
                                                          deliver a good
                                                          AFR , 12.6, at
                                                          6500 RPM under
                                                          load but I
                                                          seem to hit a
                                                          wall
                                                          (figuratively)
                                                          at that point.
                                                          I suspect that
                                                          the openings
                                                          just aren't
                                                          big enough to
                                                          deliver the
                                                          mass of air
                                                          required.
                                                          (spreadsheet
                                                          or other flow
                                                          calculator
                                                          link
                                                          appreciated)<br
                                                          clear="none">
                                                          gate I suspect
                                                          is the intake
                                                          valve, 1 3/8"
                                                          head (~35mm)
                                                          HS4 is ~38mm
                                                          at best.<br
                                                          clear="none">
                                                          I've seen all
                                                          these setups
                                                          at the track,
                                                          each with
                                                          pluses,
                                                          minuses and
                                                          overkill cause
                                                          it looks cool.
                                                          clear="none">
                                                          DCOE 40 or 2?
                                                          what jets,
                                                          tubes etc for
                                                          a starting
                                                          point? Best
                                                          manifold? <br
                                                          clear="none">
                                                          Mikuni 40? jet
                                                          size?</div>
                                                          clear="none">
_______________________________________________<br clear="none">
                                                      <a rel="noopener
                                                        noreferrer"
                                                        shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a><br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                      <a rel="noopener
                                                        noreferrer"
                                                        shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                      Donate: <a
                                                        rel="noopener
                                                        noreferrer"
                                                        shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                                                        clear="none">
                                                      Archive: <a
                                                        rel="noopener
                                                        noreferrer"
                                                        shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br
                                                        clear="none">

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be</a><br
                                                        clear="none">
class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423yqt0105059393"
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699m_-3204379643218842764yiv7557179423yqt79273">_______________________________________________<br
                                                clear="none">
                                              <a rel="nofollow"
                                                shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a><br
                                                clear="none">
                                              <a rel="nofollow"
                                                shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br
                                                clear="none">
                                              Donate: <a rel="nofollow"
                                                shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                                                clear="none">
                                              Archive: <a
                                                rel="nofollow"
                                                shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br
                                                clear="none">
                                              Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                                                rel="nofollow"
                                                shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/fubog1@aol.com</a><br
                                                clear="none">
_______________________________________________<br clear="none">
                              <a rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a><br
                                clear="none">
                              <a rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br
                                clear="none">
                              Donate: <a rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                shape="rect"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                                clear="none">
                              Archive: <a rel="noopener noreferrer"
                                shape="rect"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br
                                clear="none">
                              Unsubscribe/Manage: </div>
                            <a rel="noopener noreferrer" shape="rect"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/kaskastner@gmail.com</a>

class="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699yqt4822778474"
id="m_-245757380513494367yiv6253483699yqtfd33882"><br clear="none">
                  moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a><br>
                  target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
                Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";