fot

Re: [Fot] so I have these 2 cars...

To: Nick Black <vintagenick42@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] so I have these 2 cars...
From: Jack Wheeler via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:40:15 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_2288586_524432977.1552254015296

 Back in the early 80's, I built a TR-3 race car on a TR-4A frame.=C2=A0 IR=
S was not legal on a TR-3 in SCCA at that time, but I planned to use coil o=
vers in the rear, so that wasn't an issue.=C2=A0 I remember I had to narrow=
 the frame by cutting off about 4" at the "corners" where it sticks out jus=
t before the section where the trailing arms would attach on an IRS car.=C2=
=A0 I welded a plate over the hole in the frame left where I had cut it off=
.=C2=A0 Ironically, the widest part of the TR-4A frame occurred at the narr=
owest part of the TR-3 body.=C2=A0 Otherwise, everything else worked fine.=
=C2=A0 I used wide fiberglass fenders, which I got from John Holsonback.=C2=
=A0 His car popped up recently by someone on the FOT list.=C2=A0 It was a r=
ed TR-3 from Wichita, KS.=C2=A0 I sold the car the following year and went =
back to my trusty TR-4, which was a better handling car.=C2=A0 My lap times=
 with the TR-3 at Atlanta were about a second slower than my TR-4 the year =
before, with the same drive train.=C2=A0 I attributed the difference to han=
dling.
Jack

    On Sunday, March 10, 2019, 5:26:20 PM EDT, Nick Black via Fot <fot@auto=
x.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
 These 2 cars have been sittin in the back of the shop long enuf. One is a =
solid TR3A and the other a late TR4A in lesser condition. So I'm thinkin th=
at a frame off needs to be done on the 3 and as it sits next to the 4A, I g=
ot to thinkin (always trouble). The 3 was to be a replacement for a really =
worn out TR3 racer and I started transforming the car to race specs. Gee th=
at was about 30 years ago! Somehow I got sidetracked and raced other cars, =
and the 3 just collected dust.=C2=A0So...how bout an irs TR3? I've got flai=
red fenders from the old racer, so the wider frame won't be an issue...BUT,=
 has anyone else done this? What sort of issues are in store here? This won=
't be a racer, but rather a hotrod street car, so anything goes.
Thoughts?
ever the dreamer here in norcal...Nick_____________________________________=
__________
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
yahoo.com

 =20
------=_Part_2288586_524432977.1552254015296

=3D"font-family: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1=
3px;"><div></div>
me.&nbsp; IRS was not legal on a TR-3 in SCCA at that time, but I planned t=
o use coil overs in the rear, so that wasn't an issue.&nbsp; I remember I h=
ad to narrow the frame by cutting off about 4" at the "corners" where it st=
icks out just before the section where the trailing arms would attach on an=
 IRS car.&nbsp; I welded a plate over the hole in the frame left where I ha=
d cut it off.&nbsp; Ironically, the widest part of the TR-4A frame occurred=
 at the narrowest part of the TR-3 body.&nbsp; Otherwise, everything else w=
orked fine.&nbsp; I used wide fiberglass fenders, which I got from John Hol=
sonback.&nbsp; His car popped up recently by someone on the FOT list.&nbsp;=
 It was a red TR-3 from Wichita, KS.&nbsp; I sold the car the following yea=
r and went back to my trusty TR-4, which was a better handling car.&nbsp; M=
y lap times with the TR-3 at Atlanta were about a second slower than my TR-=
4 the year before, with the same drive train.&nbsp; I attributed the differ=
       =20
e7a24ayahoo_quoted">
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
                    On Sunday, March 10, 2019, 5:26:20 PM EDT, Nick Black v=
 cars have been sittin in the back of the shop long enuf. One is a solid TR=
3A and the other a late TR4A in lesser condition. So I'm thinkin that a fra=
me off needs to be done on the 3 and as it sits next to the 4A, I got to th=
inkin (always trouble). The 3 was to be a replacement for a really worn out=
 TR3 racer and I started transforming the car to race specs. Gee that was a=
bout 30 years ago! Somehow I got sidetracked and raced other cars, and the =
3 just collected dust.&nbsp;</div><div>So...how bout an irs TR3? I've got f=
laired fenders from the old racer, so the wider frame won't be an issue...B=
UT, has anyone else done this? What sort of issues are in store here? This =
won't be a racer, but rather a hotrod street car, so anything goes.</div><d=
6fad40yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Ari=
______________________<br><a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"nofo=
.fot-racing.com" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.c=
follow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <=
a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot"; rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_bl=