fot

Re: [Fot] electrical gremlins...wtf?

To: Nick Black <vintagenick42@yahoo.com> hljc6RVSOJDRgA+aBWmfZ88E0TpD2SJ+C1Fu523FEEl/pQfOJ7TeXvOlpbz1kNysvM426Bxzlye9yJoGsWu4jdMeQ1XnpHCYSAM=
Subject: Re: [Fot] electrical gremlins...wtf?
From: Randall via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 10:08:30 -0600
Cc: FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>

------VEYTGN1B6E1537SFJ6ISMX43W5TXLP
 charset=utf-8

Generator polarity shouldn't be able to do that, since it eventually gets c=
onnected to the battery=2E Normally the battery is much stronger, so the ge=
nerator gets automatically polarized every time the cutout closes (and the =
red light goes out)=2E

It's not a particularly good idea to switch polarity that way (lots of vio=
lence at the cutout contacts when the generator fights the battery), but it=
 does work (if the contacts survive)=2E

I keep an assortment of "burned out" headlight bulbs for tests like this=
=2E The low beam filament always burbs out first, which leaves the high bea=
m filament functional as a roughly 5 amp load=2E

There are other possibilities, but ammeter polarity is still the first thi=
ng I would check=2E
-- Randall
------VEYTGN1B6E1537SFJ6ISMX43W5TXLP
 charset=utf-8

Generator polarity shouldn't be able to do that, since it eventually gets c=
onnected to the battery=2E Normally the battery is much stronger, so the ge=
nerator gets automatically polarized every time the cutout closes (and the =
red light goes out)=2E<br><br>It's not a particularly good idea to switch p=
olarity that way (lots of violence at the cutout contacts when the generato=
r fights the battery), but it does work (if the contacts survive)=2E<br><br=
>I keep an assortment of "burned out" headlight bulbs for tests like this=
=2E The low beam filament always burbs out first, which leaves the high bea=
m filament functional as a roughly 5 amp load=2E<br><br>There are other pos=
sibilities, but ammeter polarity is still the first thing I would check=2E<=
br>-- Randall
------VEYTGN1B6E1537SFJ6ISMX43W5TXLP--

--===============0701503594515984135==

fot@autox.team.net