fot

Re: [Fot] Center main support

To: Phil Gott <vfracing@aol.com>, Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Center main support
From: Tony Drews via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 21:56:38 -0600

--------------7104E72DA867DE76A13C3121

I run that setup, it was an uncle jack trick.  Here's what he wrote
about that (on my engine building tips page):

"I also like to strap the center main to add rigidity to the bottom
end.  To do this, mill off the cast face of the main flush with the
surfaces for the head bolts. Get a front strap for a Chevy 400 block.
You must enlarge the holes in the strap  and you must use longer bolts.
  Some  builders feel that this is totally unnecessary, but since
starting to do this, I have never had a main bearing deteriorate faster
than a rod bearing, which is something that happens more frequently than
you would expect."

Regards, Tony Drews

On 11/22/2019 3:58 PM, Phil Gott via Fot wrote:
> Has anyone seen the need to add extra support to the center main on the TR
> wet sleeve engine? We have an engine that has a steel bridge cross-bolted
> underneath and supporting the center main cap. Is this needed? Just took 3
> factory cranks to the machine shop and all three were bent about .002 in
> (.002 run out at center main when supported on first and last mains.) Two of
> these were raced, the third was removed from a tired street engine. note:
> None of these cranks came out of the engine with extra support at the center.
> Curious as to the need for the extra support.
> Thanks,
> Phil Gott
> 114 TR4A
>
> Sent from my iPhone

--------------7104E72DA867DE76A13C3121

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote about that (on my engine building tips page):</p>
        Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; font-style: normal;
        font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
        font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2;
        text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none;
        white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
        -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
        255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color:
        initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">"I also like
        to strap the center main to add rigidity to the bottom end.  To
        do this, mill off the cast face of the main flush with the
        surfaces for the head bolts. Get a front strap for a Chevy 400
        block. You must enlarge the holes in the strap  and you must use
        longer bolts.  Some  builders feel that this is totally
        unnecessary, but since starting to do this, I have never had a
        main bearing deteriorate faster than a rod bearing, which is
        something that happens more frequently than you would
expect."</span></p>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:9832B3FA-B6DB-40A2-BD22-81071EA4BC5A@aol.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Has anyone seen the need to add extra
support to the center main on the TR wet sleeve engine? We have an engine that
has a steel bridge cross-bolted underneath and supporting the center main cap.
Is this needed? Just took 3 factory cranks to the machine shop and all three
were bent about .002 in (.002 run out at center main when supported on first
and last mains.) Two of these were raced, the third was removed from a tired
street engine. note: None of these cranks came out of the engine with extra
support at the center.
Curious as to the need for the extra support.
Thanks,
Phil Gott
114 TR4A

Sent from my iPhone