fot

Re: [Fot] A-Type Over Drive Question Again

To: FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A-Type Over Drive Question Again
From: yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 10:03:03 -0500
In the gearbox that Tim is referring to, I used a brand new re-lined
cone clutch in an OD unit that came from Bill Dentinger with Old Blue.
No clue what the history of the unit was, but the cone clutch stuck to
the brake ring in earnest for a several sessions. Operating pressure is
in the low 400's. I did replace the oil with Redline MT-90 during my
efforts to get the OD to release, and I am assuming the MT-90 helped. As
Tim said, there were several laps around the paddock that first weekend
with the car with the gearbox cover off and a mallet in hand, but it
wasn't until the second weekend out with the car that the cone clutch
released by itself.

It is worth noting I didn't like the shifting feel with the Redline and
went back to Brad Penn gear oil. That OD unit has been in the car for 20
race weekends now, and other than the need to bed in the cone clutch, it
has performed flawlessly. Those A-types have proven pretty robust for
me.

Henry

On 2020-01-01 08:54, Jay Galbreath via Fot wrote:
> MT-90 oil cured my rebuilt OD non release condition. It instantly
> fixed the issue. I continue to use it years later without a problem.
> Jay Galbreath
> WPTA
>
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 8:23 AM Glenn Franco via Fot
> <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 7:56 AM Tim Hutchisen
>> <hakhutch@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Glenn,
>>>
>>> Having built numerous OD units, I have run into a couple of
>>> instances where the cone clutch needed to "bed in". If you
>>> installed a new cone clutch, the angle of the linings may not be
>>> an exact match to the brake ring and annulus and it will stick
>>> when applied. A good swift rap (or two or three) on the exterior
>>> of the brake ring with a dead blow hammer will release the clutch.
>>> Had this happen with Henry Frye's race car at Summit Point a few
>>> years ago. Driving around the paddock with the gearbox cover off
>>> and exercising the OD, releasing it with the dead blow hammer. It
>>> eventually worked it's way in with time.

~~~

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com