fot

Re: [Fot] Go Pro Mounting

To: "Scott Janzen" <sjanzen@me.com>, "FOT list" <fot@autox.team.net>, "Jason Sukey" <jsukey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Go Pro Mounting
From: Stephen Jones via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 17:39:54 -0500

--===============8325936484399552716==
 boundary=5c0d04082f6349b4b20cdf3a5646b266

--5c0d04082f6349b4b20cdf3a5646b266
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Scott.

 You might check out the pre-owned GoPro's on eBay. I recently bought a Her=
o 4, 3 camera bundle with water/dust cases, numerous mounting bits, 2 port =
battery charger, eight batteries, USB cables, plus carry cases for $202 wit=
h free shipping. All I had to purchase were the SD cards. I recommend 64G w=
hich the H4's will accommodate. The only down side is that there is no rear=
 viewing screen on the 4's. Minor inconvenience if you are on a limited bud=
get. As mentioned by John Linney, a Hero 5 is a better choice, but the 4's =
were to good of a deal too pass up. All cameras checked out fine.

 As Jason mentioned, hard wire the cameras to the ignition/power switch and=
  the camera will begin recording.

 For exposure, I just set it on "auto" with very good results.

 Per mounting. I prefer not to use the GoPro plastic mounting hardware. It =
is fine for "pedestrian" use, but in a race car not so reliable with all th=
e vibration and variable momentum changes. My suggestion is to fabricate a =
mount from aluminum or other sturdier material. Additionally, a second "cla=
mp"  and mount point on the camera body (triangulate) helps keep the camera=
 steady from vibrations. If mounting outside the car, a safety wire is sugg=
ested, and may be required.

 Hope this was helpful.

 Stephen Jones