fot

[Fot] opinion - SOLVED...maybe

To: FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] opinion - SOLVED...maybe
From: Nick Black via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 00:38:45 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_67899_720069639.1587602325415

The crank is good and the thrust washers were perfect (the engine is out fo=
r a refresh).The diff has been run for years so I assume everything was hap=
py in it until this clutch fiasco broke it.
As an olde partner of mine used to say "I've been uptown and downtown, seen=
 Tobacco Road twice and thought I seen it all...but I ain't never seen this=
"
Everything I have looked at was well within spec and looked good and I was =
pretty sure nothing had been "fixed" so far. As depression had set in I sat=
 and contemplated everything and a good thing too as I noticed what I thoug=
ht was an optical illusion. It appeared as the throwout bearing sleeve (the=
 nose cone on the trans) was pointed down! It was difficult to measure, but=
 at the end closest to the pplate it was pointed down about 100 thou toward=
 the ground.It "looked" like the gap twixt input shaft and the inside of th=
e sleeve was about 1/8" at the top and about 1/4" gap at the bottom!!!
The sleeve appears to be straight, the input bearing flush to the case and =
the sleeve tight to the case. So, how would the sleeve not be parallel to t=
he input shaft?=C2=A0 I even reseated the input bearing to be sure it was t=
ight to the case and not "cocked". This trans case does not show any cracks=
 and has been on the car for 20 years without any issues.
Don't know how this could occur or if it would cause this issue but its not=
 right. Looks like I need to get another case out of the shed and exchange =
pieces.

I do some of my best work while it looks like I'm just sittin there in NorC=
alNick
PS If we ever get back on track this year, we'll see if we caught it and I'=
ll let you know.Thanks for thinking about this
------=_Part_67899_720069639.1587602325415

ly:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div dir=
=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">The crank is good and the thrust washers wer=
e perfect (the engine is out for a refresh).</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-set=
dir=3D"false">The diff has been run for years so I assume everything was ha=
ppy in it until this clutch fiasco broke it.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-set=
artner of mine used to say "I've been uptown and downtown, seen Tobacco Roa=
d twice and thought I seen it all...but I ain't never seen this"</div><div =
dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D=
"false">Everything I have looked at was well within spec and looked good an=
d I was pretty sure nothing had been "fixed" so far. As depression had set =
in I sat and contemplated everything and a good thing too as I noticed what=
 I thought was an optical illusion. It appeared as the throwout bearing sle=
eve (the nose cone on the trans) was pointed down! It was difficult to meas=
ure, but at the end closest to the pplate it was pointed down about 100 tho=
u toward the ground.It "looked" like the gap twixt input shaft and the insi=
de of the sleeve was about 1/8" at the top and about 1/4" gap at the bottom=
data-setdir=3D"false">The sleeve appears to be straight, the input bearing =
flush to the case and the sleeve tight to the case. So, how would the sleev=
e not be parallel to the input shaft?&nbsp; I even reseated the input beari=
ng to be sure it was tight to the case and not "cocked". This trans case do=
es not show any cracks and has been on the car for 20 years without any iss=
 data-setdir=3D"false">Don't know how this could occur or if it would cause=
 this issue but its not right. Looks like I need to get another case out of=
 the shed and exchange pieces.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">=
 data-setdir=3D"false">I do some of my best work while it looks like I'm ju=
st sittin there in NorCal</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Nick<=
-setdir=3D"false">PS If we ever get back on track this year, we'll see if w=
e caught it and I'll let you know.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"fal=
------=_Part_67899_720069639.1587602325415--

--===============5253937129362172759==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com