fot

Re: [Fot] Crank Harmonics and Carburetion

To: vfracing@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank Harmonics and Carburetion
From: Gregmogdoc--- via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:41:12 -0700
Phil,
   A few years ago we were running a 3/4 race TR-4A
engine on the dyno. We ran it with H-6 carbs on a
short manifold and HS-6 Carbs on a long manifold.
With the H-6 carbs, the engine ran as we expected and
would pull from about 2500 RPM up to about 6,500 RPM
smoothly and evenly. peak power was at about 5,500
rpm. When we switched to the HS-6 carbs on the long
manifold we found substantially more power and torque
from 2,800 rpm on up the rev range, but at 5200 rpm
the power died and the bsfc went all to hell.  We
determined that the fuel was foaming in the float
bowls and making the fuel mixture go wild.  We
installed the MG_B style rubber mounts for the float
bowls so that they wer flexibly mounted, not solid as
with the TR-4A setup, but that did not cure the
issue. We then used weber 45dcoe soft mount kits to
create a rubber cushion between the carb body and the
inlet manifold. That cured the problem. The power
then continued smoothly past the vibration period up
to 6,000 RPM where it fell off because of the cam
that was in the engine. Apparently the length of the
long inlet manifold amplified the vibration frequency
from the engine and caused the fuel mixture in the
carb bowls and jet to foam, destroying the fuel
mixture.  Isolating the carb from the engine
vibration cured the problem.

                                   Greg Solow