fot

Re: [Fot] RIP - Don Brick

To: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] RIP - Don Brick
From: Steven Belfer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 13:38:37 -0700

--Apple-Mail-4E76225B-9A28-4247-8F88-D57D58625DD9
        charset=utf-8

Don was a very nice guy with a room brightening smile!  My dad built an engi=
ne for Don=E2=80=99s 4 as well as ironed out the rear axle hop with some spe=
cial links and bars to the rear axle. The car was pretty unreliable and unsa=
fe before the upgrades.  My dad, Mike, really enjoyed being with Don, Bill, a=
nd Bob, and was their de facto crew chief.=20

Don once gave me a terrible T-shirt that said , It=E2=80=99s better with but=
ter.  And he took me aside to impart onto me a dairy trade secret that I sha=
ll pass in to you.  Award winning Swiss cheese should have holes no smaller t=
han a dime and no bigger than a nickel. =20

Race in peace, Don

~Steve Belfer

> On May 4, 2022, at 1:26 PM, Robert Lang via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote=
:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> I saw Don race a few times, fun stuff. He knew how to "wheel" a car.
>=20
> Regarding the former Harkness car, it was purchased by Rich Bolton and he r=
an it for around 2 years but wound up getting side-tracked with his kids rac=
ing karts and his 50-foot yawl(!) - when I last checked in NOV 21, the Harkn=
ess was in a barn in Northern VT waiting for a new owner.
>=20
> I'm pretty sure it's still there as well as all the pieces to make it whol=
e again.
>=20
> c ya (at PVGP),
> Bob Lang
>=20
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022, 10:44:09 AM EDT, Mike Jackson via Fot <fot@auto=
x.team.net> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> It is great to  know that his car will continue to be used and run!  So ma=
ny others just disappear.  One of my best friends to this day, John Harkness=
, lived quite close to Mid-O ran a baby  blue TR3 to great success.  He even=
tually sold his and we saw it entered in a race or two and then never again.=
  So sad, that thing flew and we had many great races.  This is my 35th year=
 with my TR3.  We can only hope that when its my time to retire that someone=
 will get it and love it as does Henry with Dentinger's car.
> =20
> Say - does everyone know where the Beady Eye name comes  from?  Bill owned=
 a stone masonry contracting company  and did work on many iconic buildings i=
n the Milwaukee area.  The name of the company was BDI - Bill Dentinger Inc
> =20
> Mike
> =20
> -----Original Message----- =20
ed me to do a google search. I just realized we lost Don six weeks ago on Ma=
rch 27, 2022.
> =20
> The last of the original Beady Eye gang. Sad.
> =20
> While the stories of the shenanigans Bill, Bob and Don got into are the st=
uff of legend, there is one story about Don I will never forget.
> =20
> More years ago that I care to admit, I am beginner racer who bought a dere=
lict TR4 racecar and was trying desperately to figure out how to prepare it s=
o it would finish weekends, and more importantly trying to figure out the ar=
t and science of race craft. I show up at Grattan for the first time, and I a=
m not sure I can say I was struggling, but the Beady Eye boys thought I need=
ed a primer on the track. VSCDA had a practice of doing lunch time parade la=
ps at Grattan, so they cooked up the idea that I needed to get driven around=
 the track by their resident hot shoe, Don Brick. Yes, Don was the fastest o=
f the bunch.
> =20
> These parade laps were done in race cars, and the premise was the racers c=
ould put their family, friends, crew, etc. in the passenger seat to get a bi=
rds eye view of the track. No passing, just some leisurely laps. Apparently,=
 Don didn=E2=80=99t get the memo... Don and I climb into his TR4, my memory i=
s telling me we had no fire suits or helmets, and proceed to the false grid.=
 We are waived onto the track, and Don nails it. We get decent speed for tur=
n one, and Don is narrating. "This is where I usually have to brake, but sin=
ce we are not at speed yet...", he brakes late, turns into 1 with tires at f=
ull chat. We slide around turn one, and on the little straight heading for 2=
, we come up on the first car doing parade lap speed, Don just passes them! A=
t this point, Don is at racing speed, and he continues to narrate his way ar=
ound the course passing everybody. As we round the corner for the start/fini=
sh straight, the flagger is waiting for us, and no surprise to me Don gets b=
lack flagged. As we are going down the straight for turn 1, I tell Don I don=
't think we are supposed to be going full tilt, everybody else is going much=
 slower. Don was not deterred, he needed to show me his braking point for tu=
rn 1 at speed! We proceeded to do that second lap way too fast, then Don dut=
ifully pulled into pit lane and was directed to the black flag station where=
 he was given the stern warning that lunchtime parade laps were not to be dr=
iven at speed. Don's reply with a smile, "Oh, OK, I didn't know."
> =20
> Anybody else remember running with Don and watching his red wire wheels? D=
on insisted on running that same set of red painted wire wheels. He claimed h=
e finally got a set of wheels that didn't break spokes, so he just kept runn=
ing them. It was disconcerting to see Don in the seat sawing on the steering=
 wheel, and you could see the hubs on the car moving with his motions, but t=
he rim and tires couldn't keep up the hubs, you could almost see the spokes s=
tretching with every turn of the steering wheel!
> =20
> Farewell, my friend.
arthlink.net
> =20
>=20
>=20
hcars.com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-4E76225B-9A28-4247-8F88-D57D58625DD9
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Don was a very nice guy with a room brighte=
ning smile! &nbsp;My dad built an engine for Don=E2=80=99s 4 as well as iron=
ed out the rear axle hop with some special links and bars to the rear axle. T=
he car was pretty unreliable and unsafe before the upgrades. &nbsp;My dad, M=
ike, really enjoyed being with Don, Bill, and Bob, and was their de facto cr=
aid , It=E2=80=99s better with butter. &nbsp;And he took me aside to impart o=
nto me a dairy trade secret that I shall pass in to you. &nbsp;Award winning=
 Swiss cheese should have holes no smaller than a dime and no bigger than a n=
e=3D"cite">On May 4, 2022, at 1:26 PM, Robert Lang via Fot &lt;fot@autox.tea=
r=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div class=3D"ydpebff58ccyahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-=
family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div></=
div>
un stuff. He knew how to "wheel" a car.<br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdi=
ormer Harkness car, it was purchased by Rich Bolton and he ran it for around=
 2 years but wound up getting side-tracked with his kids racing karts and hi=
s 50-foot yawl(!) - when I last checked in NOV 21, the Harkness was in a bar=
n in Northern VT waiting for a new owner.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D=
s still there as well as all the pieces to make it whole again.</div><div di=
r=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"fa=
lse">c ya (at PVGP),</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Bob Lang<br=
       =20
adfe1yahoo_quoted">
ns-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
                    On Wednesday, May 4, 2022, 10:44:09 AM EDT, Mike Jackson=
 via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:
ow that his car will continue to be used and run!&nbsp; So many others just d=
isappear.&nbsp; One of my best friends to this day, John Harkness, lived qui=
te close to Mid-O ran a baby&nbsp; blue TR3 to great success.&nbsp; He event=
ually sold his and we saw it entered in a race or two and then never again.&=
nbsp; So sad, that thing flew and we had many great races.&nbsp; This is my 3=
5th year with my TR3.&nbsp; We can only hope that when its my time to retire=
 that someone will get it and love it as does Henry with Dentinger's car.<br=
 know where the Beady Eye name comes&nbsp; from?&nbsp; Bill owned a stone ma=
sonry contracting company&nbsp; and did work on many iconic buildings in the=
 Milwaukee area.&nbsp; The name of the company was BDI - Bill Dentinger Inc<=
iv><div dir=3D"ltr">Responding to Brian McEldowney, the new owner of the Don=
 Brick TR4, prompted me to do a google search. I just realized we lost Don s=
iv dir=3D"ltr">The last of the original Beady Eye gang. Sad.<br></div><div d=
gans Bill, Bob and Don got into are the stuff of legend, there is one story a=
 dir=3D"ltr">More years ago that I care to admit, I am beginner racer who bo=
ught a derelict TR4 racecar and was trying desperately to figure out how to p=
repare it so it would finish weekends, and more importantly trying to figure=
 out the art and science of race craft. I show up at Grattan for the first t=
ime, and I am not sure I can say I was struggling, but the Beady Eye boys th=
ought I needed a primer on the track. VSCDA had a practice of doing lunch ti=
me parade laps at Grattan, so they cooked up the idea that I needed to get d=
riven around the track by their resident hot shoe, Don Brick. Yes, Don was t=
"ltr">These parade laps were done in race cars, and the premise was the race=
[...]
riven at speed. Don's reply with a smile, "Oh, OK, I didn't know."<br></div>=
ing with Don and watching his red wire wheels? Don insisted on running that s=
ame set of red painted wire wheels. He claimed he finally got a set of wheel=
s that didn't break spokes, so he just kept running them. It was disconcerti=
ng to see Don in the seat sawing on the steering wheel, and you could see th=
e hubs on the car moving with his motions, but the rim and tires couldn't ke=
ep up the hubs, you could almost see the spokes stretching with every turn o=
x.team.net" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a><br></d=
ot-racing.com" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com<=
ef=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">ht=
ref=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot " rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot </a>(<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/ar=
chive" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>)=
m.net/mailman/options/fot/grandwazoo@earthlink.net" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D=
"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/grandwazoo@earthlink.net<=
to:fot@autox.team.net" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net=
www.fot-racing.com" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing=
f=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">htt=
"http://autox.team.net/archive " rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/archive </a><a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot"; rel=3D=
n/options/fot/robertlangtr6@yahoo.com" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/robertlangtr6@yahoo.com</a><br></div=

--Apple-Mail-4E76225B-9A28-4247-8F88-D57D58625DD9--

--===============5097882224566341043==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

--===============5097882224566341043==--