fot

Re: [Fot] A-type OD leaks

To: Joe Boruch <jaboruch@yahoo.com>, yellow04 <yellow04@tr4racer.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A-type OD leaks
From: fubog1 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:11:20 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_187740_2110617492.1695309080617

 Can't add much to Henrys excellent dissertation on the A-type, except to c=
heck the plate for bend/warpage @ the bottom between the 2 lower fasteners.
Glen Efinger

    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 08:10:31 AM EDT, yellow04 via Fot <f=
ot@autox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
=20
Joe,

If your gearbox has slowly started leaking around the adapter plate, in all=
 likelihood the issue is the six bolts that hold the plate to the back of t=
he gearbox have loosened up. If nobody safety wired them or didn't use any =
kind of threadlocker on them, this is typically the problem when leaks slow=
ly start in this area. The likelihood of needing to replace the adapter pla=
te is not all that high, assuming the leak is not huge and you have not bee=
n driving the car with copious amounts of oil leaking about.

The adapter plate is not part of the overdrive unit, so replacing only the =
adapter plate is not too difficult. Six nuts hold the OD unit to the adapte=
r plate, remove the nuts from the 4 short studs first, then start working t=
he nuts on the two long studs evenly, and spring pressure should separate t=
he OD unit from the adapter plate. Pay attention to the 8 springs as you sl=
ide the OD unit off the mainshaft, when they fall out they like to roll und=
er things. Place the OD unit aside, other that cleaning the gasket surface =
you will not be messing with that.

I use the little bottle of Permatex Aviation gasket sealer for gearboxs, se=
ems to work well for me.

The six bolts that attach the adapter plate to the back of the gearbox case=
 are now visible, if these bolts are not properly torqued you just found th=
e source of your leak. Remove them, clean up your gasket surfaces and resea=
l. The same gasket is used here as the non-overdrive gearbox.=C2=A0 Rimmers=
 sells bolts specifically for this application, they have threadlocker that=
 is safe for the aluminum case on the threads. They have been working for m=
e.=C2=A0These 6 bolts may be safety wired, always a good idea if you don't =
buy a set of new bolts from Rimmers. If you go the safety wire route, pay a=
ttention to the parts as it is easy to run the wire in such a way that it f=
ouls when the OD unit is installed.

The last adapter plate I bought from Rimmers was embossed with "ORS", I bel=
ieve it was made by Overdrive Repair Services, the business started by Layc=
ock employees after Laycock closed their doors. I didn't really compare it =
to a Triumph adapter plate, but I can see how John Esposito might call it a=
n upgraded adapter plate. If you need one, I'd just order it from Rimmers a=
long with those 6 bolts.=C2=A0

Assembling the OD unit back onto the gearbox is where the real fun is, you =
need to line up two sets of splines in the OD unit, compress the 8 springs =
and make sure you don't foul the oil pump plunger on the cam. Many ways to =
accomplish this, some are tedious, frustrating, and can completely drive yo=
u crazy. The easiest way I have found is to safety wire the pump plunger, i=
nstall the pump drive cam and make sure it is pointing away from the pump, =
apply the sealant to the gasket and place in on the OD unit, align the spli=
nes in the OD unit, (a spare OD mainshaft is really helpful with this) and =
offer up the OD unit to the box. Slowly slide the unit on assuring everythi=
ng is lined up until the gasket is almost touching the adapter plate. Then,=
 install the nuts and washers on the long studs only a couple of turns. The=
n you slide the OD unit backwards WITHOUT TURNING the rear flange until it =
hits the nuts. Then you install the 8 springs in their correct position, (s=
horts go inboard, longs go outboard) by stuffing them onto their posts on t=
he sliding member then levering the other end onto the nubs on the adapter =
plate. Take a really good look to make sure you have all 8 springs correctl=
y installed, then tighten the nuts equally to draw the OD unit home. Then i=
nstall the 4 nuts and washers on the short studs, remove the safety wire on=
 the oil pump plunger, refill with oil and you are good to go.

If you run into problems or need to borrow a spare OD mainshaft to line up =
the splines in the OD unit, feel free to reach out!

Henry