Re: Shift times

To: "Dr. Bob Woods" <woods@mae.uta.edu>
Subject: Re: Shift times
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 10:06:00 -0700
Hey Dr. Bob,

Your point is well taken that the actual acceleration comes
from what happens after the trans ratios and final drive are
taken into effect.  Even if torque at the flywheel drops off
at higher RPM, the multiplication through the gears often
makes the lower gear/higher RPM a better choice.  Hence it's
often better to stay in the lower gear longer.  Just where
this benefit begins to die off is more complicated to
calculate.

The old G.Analyst literature gave a procedure for finding
proper shift points using the longitudinal strip charts.

Their method was to record several full-throttle test runs
with shift points at various RPMs.  For instance, redline,
redline-200, redline-400, etc.  Once this is done, you can
then review the Accel Chart on each run, and compare the
acceleration g's just prior to the shift to those just after
the shift.

If the accel g's prior to the shift are higher than those
after the shift, you would like to continue using that gear
longer (if you can), so you should move your shift point up,
if possible.  If the accel g's prior to the shift are lower
than those after the shift, you stayed in the gear too long,
and you should shift sooner.

The G.Analyst folks didn't specifically address the spike of
accel that the clutch release after the shift produces, but
I would assume you'd look for the first plateau after the
drop-increase of the shift.

Do you agree with this assessment as a final litmus test for
finding proper shift rpm?  It seems intuitive enough.

With all of this said, for the majority of autocrossers out
there, the only shift we have to worry about is the 1-2
shift, and the vast majority of vehicles will benefit more
from the gear than the torque, meaning that you should shift
just before you hit rev limiter (or blow the mechanical
fuse, whichever occurs first).

--Byron