Starting intervals

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Starting intervals
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:34:48 -0400
At the PA State Championships this past weekend, we felt quite rushed.
The turnout was small, and with two drivers, we were being sent back
out as soon as we could swap seats and such.  In fact, on Sunday, we
weren't even able to keep up with the rest of the heat -- we ran late
every time.

It occurs to me that the G-Cube softare on the Palm records the
starting time of each run, so that we can tell exactly how long we're
being asked to wait.  We can use that data to try to determine optimal
heat sizes.

Further, we can tell how consistent that is over a wide range of
events, given the popularity of the G-Cube and the wonders of the net.
So how about some real data?  Anyone care to share?  I'd be interested
in keeping a spreadsheet of these for "big events" across the country
to see how consistent they are.

At the PA States, with two drivers, our intervals (in minutes) were
10-8-9-9-7 on Saturday, and 9-9-7-10-6 on Sunday.  Or put another
way, it looks like it took 16-18 minutes for everyone in our heat
to take one run (and I claim that's not quite enough -- based on this,
20 minutes seems like a reasonable minimum target).

Anyone else?

Mark