Shroud/confusion

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shroud/confusion
From: "John Snyder" <johnahsn@olypen.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:29:22 -0800
Hello List,

A few days ago I posted a message, looking for a good tri-carb front shroud.
These are relatively rare because of the limited number of tri-carbs made.  I
was looking for a BJ7 or BJ8 single light shroud to graft the rear of my
shroud onto.

Two very well respected, knowledgeable Healey people wrote back and said that
a tri-carb shroud was exactly the same as that of a 3000 "MK1" of 100-6.  One
even said that the factory parts list did not show a different number for the
tri-carb shroud.  I checked w/ a third person who is not only a Healey expert,
but also a tri-carb expert.  He insisted that the shrouds are different.

Then I did what I should have done in the first place.  Took a piece of 3/32"
welding rod 5 1/2" long, bent 1" 90 degrees at each end, and used it as a
caliper to measure the width of the shroud between the hood opening and the
grill opening (the area that the tri-carb expert said was different) on the
following cars.  These cars are mine, and I know them well.   1960 BT7 -
original paint, unrestored, never hit in the grill area; 1962 BT7 MK2 - just
finished a ground up restoration, shroud never hit in the grill area; 1961 BN7
MK2 - ground up restoration last year, never hit in the upper grill area; 1961
BN7 MK2 - never hit in the upper grill area, but hammered many other places.

Results: The tri-carb shrouds are 1/4" narrower between the grill opening and
the hood opening.  2 15/16" vs 3 3/16". Very hard to detect by eye, but 1/4"
is a lot when you are trying to fit the oval grill piece (w/ eyebrow) in.
Still looking for a tri-carb shroud :-)

John Snyder