New Engine up and running - running rich?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Engine up and running - running rich?
From: "Big Sixer" <healey@ledwith.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 09:45:55 -0400
Got my BJ7 on the road for an extended drive. Rebuilt engine, NOS distributor,
New HS6's from Australia.

Engine runs with power, but exhaust is extremely rich.  Spark plugs are
covered with black soot, and the rear tail pipe has black soot.

Car ran fine, but was very hard to start after I parked it for a few minutes.
Only good thing is that the engine doesn't run on after turning it off.

Spark gap is fine. Valves are a bit loose, but generally fine. Ignition Timing
is by hand but fine.

Carbs are same setting as delivered by factory. Is this right? Should they be
leaned out? Is that hard to do?

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Ryan
64BJ7