Re: H4 Carburetor Blues

To: "Mick VanderPloeg" <MVANDERPLOEG@nc.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: H4 Carburetor Blues
From: "Keith Pennell" <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:40:26 -0400
> While trying to adjust the mixture on my H4 carbs, fuel started dripping
from
> the jet adjusting nut.  I assume the cork sealing ring is shot (again).
These
> were just replaced a few months ago.  Is there an alternative to these
cork
> rings, or some other way to prolong their lives?

Mick, have no recommendations here.

> Also, it seemed that I could never get the mixture rich enough by turning
the
> adjusting nut.  The engine would always slow down when I lifted up on the
> piston.  The only way I could get it correct is by using the choke arm to
pull
> the jet downward.  The Haynes manual states that the jet adjusting nut
should
> be turned counter-clockwise (when looking down at the carburetor) to
increase
> the richness of the mixture.  Is this correct?  It didn't seem to do a
thing
> for me.

Two things come to mind here.  First, pull the dashpot covers off and take
the pistons out.  Look to see that the shoulder of the needle is flush with
the bottom of the piston.

Second and the more likely problem, there is a difference in point of view
in the manual.  I believe it is the same in all because all come from the
factory one.  The instructions on adjusting the nut are AS VIEWED FROM THE
BOTTOM.  The jet is richened by turning counterclockwise as viewed from the
bottom - clockwise as viewed from the top.  Been there, done that . . .

Keith Pennell