Re: Creaking spring

To: "Peter Linn" <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Creaking spring
From: "Robert Poague" <rapoague@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:30:22 -0700
Peter,

I went through the same routine last year on my BJ7. Turned out to be a
binding, or too-tight, rear shackle, which I found when I finally started
removing the spring.

The lower shackle bolt has a taper on one end which fits in a mating recess
in one side of the shackle. The corresponding nut on that end should be
tight. The other end, at least on my car, is double-nutted--two nuts
separated by a lock washer. Loosening these nuts about 1/2 turn freed up the
shackle and eliminated the squeak completely.

This was not a case of inadequate lubrication or damaged or non-stock parts,
and the "adjustment" did not produce excessive play in the shackle. I have
never found any reference to this being an adjustable situation and I'm
still a bit puzzled by it, although the double-nutting does suggest an
adjustment. I can only say, it worked for me. Listers are welcome to take
issue with my fix.

Bob