RE: gauges

To: "'healeylist'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gauges
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:08:51 -0400
Hi Carl,
Although many would probably disagree I would recommend a volt meter for
2 reasons.
1. An ammeter requires heavy wiring routed to the back of the gauge
which will carry all the "house" current for the car. This current flow
can be quite substantial and, in the event that any resistance occurs in
the wire, you will suffer both a meltdown at the point of resistance and
progressively increasing failures of the electrical components, usually
at night because of the lighting load. A voltmeter requires only one
very small fused wire and a ground. TR6s used an ammeter in their
earlier years and they gave a lot of trouble.
2. An ammeter may give a more dramatic indication of impending trouble
however, after you have become familiar with the voltage indications
under various conditions of load, a voltmeter is just as effective in
indicating a problem.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com