overdrive switch

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: overdrive switch
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:47:51 -0700
i have the same problem as don anglesey had with his overdrive.  after reading
the fix by dave russell i decided to finally fix my od so it would work
correctly, although i am thoroughly used to not shutting it off when
decelerating.  however, none of the fixes worked, so i finally took off the
safety switch and pried the little tongs back to see what was wrong inside.
everything appeared ok with the flat side of the rotating circle against the
breaker bar and the spring was tight.    with the throttle at idle the arm
that clamps on the switch is pointed down toward the engine.  i seem to
remember other healeys have the arm at a higher position.  is it possible that
my connector from the throttle rod to the arm is too short. maybe someone
could measure it and let me know.  i assume the flat spot on the circle allows
juice to flow to the solenoid but i am having trouble visualizing how juice
continues to the solenoid when the arm rotates back to the idle position(can't
see the forest for the forest).   also,. the other day i whipped in to get gas
and they were out of premium, so i filled up on mid-grade and vowed to not let
it ping.  i was surprised to discover i had no problem with ping or run-on
like i do sometime, but when idling it became erractic and acted as if the
plugs were loading up.  i woud give it a little gas and it would be okay for a
while, 15-30 seconds, the start oscillating and then load up again.  i leaned
out the idle jets a little but doesn't seem to help.  anyone else ever had
this problem?  will get some premium next time and see if this solves my
problem.   healeymanjim