Re: CB/SW

To: James Lea <clocks@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: CB/SW
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:16:15 -0600
JL,

If the coil was originally from a positive ground car, CB would be +.
The CB (contact breaker) is the points making a connection to ground
which is positive. The SW (ignition switch) lead would be -. If the coil
was originally from a negative ground car, reverse the description. All
Healeys were originally positive ground. A "modern" coil would usually
imply negative ground, but not for certain. It doesn't really matter
much which way the coil is connected. The "wrong" way will result in a
little less spark efficiency, but no disaster. If it is important, a
modern scope engine analyzer as used by most shops can quickly determine
if the coil is connected correctly. I never had much luck with the old
"pencil" test.

Dave Russell
BN2