Re: Fwd: Re: Brake Drum Balancing

To: Rick Neville <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Brake Drum Balancing
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:08:00 -0600
All,

Since the brake drum balance problem is largely caused by the original
machining processes being done off center in the drum casting, which
causes a variable thickness between the inner & outer drum diameters, it
appears that the problem could be mostly eliminated by centering the
drum inner locating ring surface & or the inner drum brake contact
surface in a lathe & then turning the outer drum surface concentric with
the inner. It would be a better fix than adding metal to the light side
of the drum. No worry about the drum wall being different thickness
around it's periphery which could contribute to uneven expansion & going
out of round under heat. My drums do not have the problem, but the next
time I have them off I will use this approach.

Dave Russell
BN2