Re: 60 BN7 Gearbox tunnel removal (ignore first message hit

To: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>,
Subject: Re: 60 BN7 Gearbox tunnel removal (ignore first message hit
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:35:18 -0500
I am quite sure Michael can speak for himself and probably give a better
answer
than me, but I think he is saying that the problem is in the clutch release
system, could be hydraulic, could be mechanical.

1. If there is a little air in the system still the clutch should still
operate if you pump it a few times.

2.  Problem could be mechanical, and could be in the tranny casing with the
clutch release fork mechanism as well.

3.  Could be that there is no air but hydraulics are still not functioning
properly, fluid is flowing past seals rather than pushing the master or
slave cylinder enough to completely disengage the clutch.  Even if you are
getting plenty of movement when you test sometimes funny things happen when
you are driving instead of testing.

4.  Lastly I think you mentioned you got a crunch engaging 1st or reverse,
what about
2nd, 3rd, 4th?  A bad release bearing will also give you a crunch going into
a non-synchronized gear.

Lots of possibilities, sorry no definite solution or easy answer,  maybe
convert to a mechanical clutch like the early cars? (just kidding) but as
Michael
suggested you may need to check the entire system.

As other have suggested do as much as you can without pulling the tranny
first.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1