Baking Paint

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Baking Paint
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:22:30 -0400
Ron,

Steve is correct in his baking method.  If does work.

However, if you do not have an understanding wife, you can use a grill.  I
have used my gas grill.  I start both burners, get it really hot and then put
in the parts.  My grill is bigger that our oven and things like intake
manifolds and mufflers fit very nicely.  It will handle odd sizes, big pieces
and all of the really bad oders and smoke are outside.  A normal oven
thermometer will help you control the temp.  Scrap pieces of rebar on the
grates keeps the paint off them as well.

A friend bought a used range for $100, put it in his garage and he uses it for
evrything that his wife would not let him use her range for.

Good luck.

Fred
63 BJ7

Hi, Ron -

I use Plastikote engine enamel in a spray can, spray the parts, bake them at
300 deg. for an hour, and repeat two more times.  This gives a tough, durable
coating that resists rust.  The better you clean the parts before baking, the
better the final (and long-term) result.  No primer is required.

It also creates an odor that can be objectionable.  Running the vent fan
while
baking, and having a very sympathetic and accommodating wife helps.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA