RE: Clutch

To: Austin Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch
From: Pat & Gary Rice <patgaryrice@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 18:38:11 -0700
Listers,  Got a new one for you.  I"ve followed the threads on transmission
and clutch removals, etc.  Just took part in the Austin Healey Pierpont 2004
event or conclave in Ventura.  My transmission and clutch work fine until
the car has been driven for maybe an hour or 50 miles.  Then if I get heavy
on the throttle from a dead stop, the clutch seems to be slipping until I
back off on the throttle, then engine speed slows down and car continues to
accelerate.  During the restoration process several years ago, a
knowledgable mechanic checked out the clutch visibly and thought it would be
OK for a long time.  Clutch face looked good and springs looked good.  Also
the throughout bearing.  The slave cylinder was rebuilt and bled.  Clutch
disengages fine.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I suspect weak clutch
springs,but hope its something simpler to correct.
Gary Rice
61 HBT7L
Ventura, Ca