Car stopped puzzle

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Car stopped puzzle
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 20:26:42 EDT
Okay, here's a puzzle for Gus at the Good-Time Garage, or the Tappet Twins at
NPR.
I'm going to try debugging this, but toss in your suggestions as to what you
think might be wrong and what to check, and when I get to the bottom of the
problem, I'll tell you.
After three  outings with my Healey-- the first 250 miles, the second 75
miles, and the third that ended abruptly half a mile from home today after a 60
mile drive -- my car is sitting in the garage, insisting that it be fixed
before
I take it out again.
Hasn't been tuned up in quite awhile, but started up on first turn and idled
smoothly. I'm running standard points ignition.
After all those miles of totally uneventful motoring, as I turned off the
highway on to the main street very close to home, the car just stopped.
After I cruised to a stop and pushed it into a convenient parking lot, i
determined the following --- It has charge; turns over like a champ, but just
won't catch. It has gas; both float bowls full. All wires between the coil and
distributor are securely hooked up. It may not be making a spark; the
screwdriver
in the lead, and holding the lead near the sparkplug tip produce nothing.
Disconnecting the black/white ground wire at the terminal near the fuse block
didn't help (so it isn't a cut-off switch/wire problem). That's as far as I got
before I decided that working in my garage at my leisure was preferable to
working in a parking lot with only emergency tools.
Question one: what would you check and in what order?
Question two: As a W.A.G., what do you think is going to turn out to be wrong?
Cheers
Gary