Closer - BJ8

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Closer - BJ8
From: James Sailer <heliskier@direcway.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 06:36:09 -0600
Greetings all...

Thought I would drop a quick status report as some progress has been
made....

Re-wiring (after my missive with a bad light on a new harness) is now
complete..  I had a bugger of a time with the fuel guage.. until I realized
that the new aluminum tank, new gasket material under the tank hold-downs,
new gasket under the tank and fuel filter (with rubber hose) had isolated
the tank such that I needed a separate ground wire from the tank to the
body...

I pick up my shift lever from the plater today...  a smitty conversion that
look identical to the original shifter,,  just on top of (and slightly
behind) a toyota shifter base...

I pulled the pan last night as I had a leak and don't want any...  seems my
engine rebuilder had only applied gasket sealer to the gasket/block joint..
the gasket/pan had none and therefor my weeping..  so a new pan gasket goes
on today....

I have my fuel lines to hook the carb together but that is it... aside from
the interior and top.....

So I will be installing a seat... and driving her around the neighborhood
for a few miles to make sure EVERYTHING is correct before I install my new
wilton wool carpets..... and then interior .... seeming progress!

So next week will be fun...  (a bike race (64 miles) around yellowstone park
tomorrow and mothers day will divert any further efforts this weekend).

Ed..  I will write that article on the smitty install with photos soon..
just want to make sure all is well first!

Steve..  I should be done with the tape ina few weeks....

Cheers.

Jim Sailer
66 BJ8