Re: brake booster test

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake booster test
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:27:38 -0700
Ken,

In its "normal" state the vacuum/air valve (I think) will apply vacuum
to both sides of the vacuum piston.  The only way to "cycle" the vacuum
would be to remove the cover on the vacuum/air valve (on the side of
the servo body) and manually move it.  You will probably need
a new gasket afterwards, although if you're lucky you might be able to
re-use the old one.  BTW, you can't buy that gasket alone--at least I've
never seen one--and rebuild kits run about $80.

I've just rebuilt two of these, and I can't think of any way to test one on
the bench.  You just have to hope the rebuilder knew what she was doing.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net