Re: hub grease cup removal

To: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hub grease cup removal
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 03:11:44 -0500
I would try a long screwdriver or pry bar, place the tip against the base of
the stud and the outer edge of the hub as the fulcrum point and try to push
the stud so it is straight enough to get a threaded piece on it in the hub
extension. By pushing against the base of the stud you should leave the end
threads intact (hopefully they haven't been bunged up already).  You
shouldn't be applying enough force to damage the hub extension, which you
will be pushing against.

This should result in either getting the stud straight to attach a threaded
piece to it, and or allow you to rock the cap back and forth a little bit to
loosen it in the hub extension to the point where it will be easier to
extract.

Before I do any of this I would saturate with WD40, PB Blaster (good stuff,
just tried it on the last project) or some such product to try to loosen
some of the crud and corrosion undoubtedly holding this stubborn piece in
place.  When I took mine out for the first time there was all sort of crud
and corrosion that had worked its way in there.

P.S. I made a homemade threaded extractor from bits at the hardware store,
fairly intuative, but can give details if needed.

 Good Luck!

Greg Lemon
54 BN1