Re: AH 100-4 - two more detail questions please....

To: <Fiat500f@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AH 100-4 - two more detail questions please....
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:57:19 -0400
Subject: AH 100-4 - two more detail questions please....

Paul wrote:
 Hi again,

> Two more easy detail questions about my friends 1954 AH100-4 which we are
> working on please.  We just put in an original SU fuel after having
removed some
> cheesy plastic thing.  I am not sure about the fuel tank to fuel pump
> connection.  The fuel pump to fuel line going to the carbs is on and
correct, but I
> can't tell how the other fuel pump connection should be.  The car has a
metal
> fuel line coming from the tank which just ends near the fuel pump.  Should
the
> metal line continue to the pump and in some way connect to the pump or
does a
> rubber type hose connect to the metal pipe coming from the tank, and then
the
> hose connects to the pump in some way?

The steel line ran up from the tank in the boot, curved toward the bulkhead,
went through the grommet, then immediately turned to the left and angled up
at the same time tucking in under a welded metal tab mounting to the axle
side of the bulkhead, then curved forward again to tuck under the welded tab
immediately inboard of the bump stop box. It continued forward and dropped
down at an angle and turned right, screwing directly into the pump inlet
connection.
One thing many folks do is to cut this line and install an in-line fuel
filter before the pump. It is totally hidden and easy to change when
necessary. In this position it protects the pump from getting any residue
from the tank.

> #2:  On the rear side of the body panel that the fuel pump bolts to, right
> next to the pump, is a metal tab of sorts that looks like it should be
holding
> something.  It's similar to the metal tab on the passenger side (USA Spec)
of
> the same panel, which holds the battery cable.  Any ideas what the one on
the
> drivers side holds?

This tab locates the steel fuel line that leaves the pump and turns down
through the small triangular opening between the frame members, then travels
forward along the inside edge of the left frame member.

Hope this helps.
Rich Chrysler