brake pads

To: list healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake pads
From: linwood rose <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:19:30 -0400
Hi all,
I am putting new Mintex brake pads in my rebuilt calipers for my 60 BT7
restoration. The instructions with the pads say, "The contact surface
of the pad backing plate/caliper guides as well as of the pad backing
plate/brake pistons are to be slightly greased with a special grease
following the instructions of the vehicle manufacturer."

What is the purpose of the grease? What type of "special" grease does
one use? I see nothing in the shop manual about this.

Do you only insert shims if "squeel" dictates? My old assemblies did
not have shims.

Thanks as always. Learning something every day!

Lin Rose
60 BT7
50 AN5