Baffled!

To: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Baffled!
From: Russ Staub <bbb11489@azboss.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:31:12 -0700
Hi everyone,

Well, it's 112F today, guess I won't go cruising.

Wow, what a great bunch of answers to my BN2 temperature quandary.
 Thanks everyone.  Lots of ideas, but the ones that intrigue me the most
involve baffling.  I thought I had done everything I could think of to
help my babies through the Phoenix summer environment.  Even have a
Texas cooler, which I think really helped.

At any rate, I went down to Healey Hall and checked out the Baffling
situation.  The BN2 radiator just sits there, proud as can be, with no
evidence to me of any kind of baffling.  The sides of the radiator are
wide open to the engine compartment, so I assume plenty of air just goes
around the rad instead of through it.

Same on the Bj8.  Nothing I can see to channel the outside air
exclusively through the radiator.  So is this what's missing, and will
it really help my freeway cooling (or parade idling as far as that goes)?

I looked at the Moss catalog and they have an air deflector assembly
shown.  Is this what I need.  Unfortunately, I don't see anything on the
100-4 page that looks anything like an air deflector or funneling baffle
arrangement.  What is that "T" style arrangment that Chris mentioned?  I
don't see anything like that in the Moss catalogue.

Looks like you all got me on to something that will help my problem.
 Maybe I shouldn't worry. Weatherman predicts cooling to 111F tomorrow!
 I'm serious.

Thanks, and any advice welcomed.

Russ Staub
'60 Bugeye
'50 Atlantic
'56 BN2
'67 BJ8
Mesa, AZ  (where cooling trends are a matter of relativity).