RE: pop and snap backfire on deceleration

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: pop and snap backfire on deceleration
From: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:51:02 -0400
Before completly rebuilding my BJ8 engine and carbs and adding a new
exhaust system, I had a horrible pop/snap/backfire when decelerating.
Matter of fact, noone would follow me when we went on a cruise.

Not suggesting this is what you need to do to eliminate the problem:), but
seems the combo of the three eliminated mine---more suspect of the carbs.
Now, there is basically none of these things but a very smooth sound when I
decelerate.

Cheers
tom

option to look for is the vacuum advance, which you say is not working. As
far as I know one of the functions of the vaccuum advance is to advance the
ignition timing when decelerating. Gas is burning slower when decelerating
(don't ask me why, read it somewhere) and with vacuum advance not working a
certain amount of unburned fuel will leave the cylinders burning in the
exhaust causing backfiring.