RE: Jag Mk II, off topic.

To: "James Lea" <clocks@midcoast.com>,
Subject: RE: Jag Mk II, off topic.
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:56:46 +1000
G'day James

Some years back when our third child came along we started thinking
about a larger family car. Many of our friends (non classic car owning
type) were suggesting that a station wagon or people mover would be the
best way to go. So you can imagine their surprise when we went out and
bought a late Jaguar MkII.

It was an absolutely lovely car and was always a delight to drive. Being
a late model it was fitted with Jaguar's own four-speed all synchro
gearbox and Laycock de Normanville overdrive. Earlier cars came with the
four-speed Moss box and OD but first gear in the Moss box was not
synchro. An automatic was also available - I think it was the Borg
Warner 35.

We used it as our everyday car and brought home number 3 and number 4
from the hospital. It was a very stylish car to drive and also quite
quick plus with all that leather, burr veneer (with picnic tables on the
backs of the front seats) made it far more enjoyable than a station
wagon.

The only comment I have is that the MkII is difficult to work on and in
fact I would go as far to say that if a spanner fits, it's a design
fault. In the 5 years we owned it I replaced a head gasket, rebuilt the
brake power booster and fitted new brake pads. It never ran hot and was
always well behaved in traffic even when we managed to fit a very much
after market air conditioning system. Our car met its demise when one of
the engine/camshaft chains flayed rather enthusiastically and jumped a
few teeth causing the valves to have a crushing meeting with the
pistons. Jaguar engines are expensive to repair so it was sold and
replaced by a Jaguar Series 2 XJ6.

If possible I would suggest that you look out for a car with power
steering as the steering is heavy.

My memory tells me that Gary Anderson bought a MkII that had received
quite a few modernising alterations such as rack and pinion steering,
powered windows, air, 5 speed box etc. etc. There are various companies
around the world that will produce for you a completely rebuilt MkII
with the choice of engines including the Jaguar XK8 V8 along with modern
everything else.

A lovely car and most certainly I would have another if circumstances
permitted. Almost forgot that there was a Daimler version as well that
was almost always fitted with the Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8, auto box and
power steering.

Regards

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia