Re: BJ 8 Running temperature-160 degrees

To: <EJBJR935@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BJ 8 Running temperature-160 degrees
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:45:34 +1000
Hi Ed,

> I installed a 160 deg thermostat and engine never runs above that temp. Is
that too cool?
Yes.
> Should I be at 180 degrees?
Yes. 185 is even better.
> Will running at 160 cause excessive engine wear?
Yes. Specifically, cylinder bore wear.

Engines need to be running at MIN 175F - Max 190F for efficent combustion to
occur, and to minimise cylinder bore wear. Running an engine at 160F will
DOUBLE your cylinder bore wear compared to running the same engine at 185F.
There are no longevity or performance benefits from running an engine too
cold.

Change the Thermostat to a 180/ 185!

Best regards

Chris