RE: bubble balancer

To: <NPaul72464@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bubble balancer
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:27:40 -0400
Hi Ned,
Over the years I have tried both a bubble balancer and a Snap On static
balancer. Unfortunately neither produced satisfactory results
consistently. I believe that the difficulty stems from the fact that
these are single plane balancers and do not correct for imbalance which
is not positioned in the center of the tire.
Put another way if you put a heavy wheel weight on the outside of the
wheel at the valve position then put an identical weight on the inside
of the wheel opposite the valve position a bubble balancer would still
consider that wheel to be balanced.
We now use a Hoffman balancer with a special adaptor made from a wheel
spinner with a big hole cut through the center and a rear spline.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com