Another oil story

To: "'Healeys' (E-mail)" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another oil story
From: "Malaney, David W" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:27:42 -0400
A guy here at work just told me an interesting story about oil, and I thought
I'd share it with this list, as I often see oil related e-mails flying around.
Anyway, this guy is completing a 5 year frame off on a '70 Chevelle, and he
finally got the thing running this past week.  In the course of moving the car
in and out of his garage he noticed the axle pinion seal was leaking.  Since
changing the pinion seal is a pain, he thought he'd ask his Chevelle list for
opinions first.  He had put synthetic oil in the axle (also in the trans, but
I forgot to ask him how that's going).  Turns out that others have had the
same issue when putting synth in their axles.  Near as they can figure, the
old style seals don't react the same to the synth oil as they do to good old
80-90 EP mineral oil.  With the 80-90 the seals will swell up and "seal"
(probably as intended), and with the synth oil the seals just don't react the
same and those slippery little synthetic molecules can slip past the seal.
So, he drained out the synth oil, put in 80-90, and the leak has stopped.

Dave M.
61 BN7