Re: Mirrors (what's behind you)

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mirrors (what's behind you)
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:11:58 -0400
On Thu July 1 2004 8:34 am, Greg Lemon wrote:
> There is not a right or wrong answer to the question of where to put the
> mirrors, but here is my opinion and reasons therefore:
>
> At least in my experience on my cars, I get the best, most useful view from
> convex lucas style mirrors mounted up on the fenders.

That could be a pretty good compromise.

There is a consideration we should keep in mind: The further the mirror is
toward the front of the car, the narrower the angle of view it provides.
That's not opinion, it's an inviolable law of physics.  Anyone doubting it
can check it out with his friendly local physicist, or do his own experiment.

Of course, everything's a trade-off, and in this case, the more you move
outside mirrors back toward the driver, the further from straight ahead you
have to look to see them.

As another poster pointed out, the optimum position may be about where you
find them on contemporary automobiles.  That may or may not work for your
Healey.
--
John Miller

Accident, n.:
        A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
        body is better.
                -Foolish Dictionary