Mirrors (what's behind you)

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mirrors (what's behind you)
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:34:33 -0500
There is not a right or wrong answer to the question of where to put the
mirrors, but here is my opinion and reasons therefore:

At least in my experience on my cars, I get the best, most useful view from
convex lucas style mirrors mounted up on the fenders.

I will conced they are harder to adjust and get knocked when you work in the
engine compartment, but when right they are very good, kind of like our cars
in general.

I had the same set up on an MGB-GT, where there is a big blind spot and they
worked great.

If I am going to take my eyes far enough off the road to look at a door
mount mirror I might as well turn my head and check for back traffic without
the mirrors particularly on the passenger side.

These mirrors give you a wide field of view behind you pretty much the same
field of vision as where you are looking (or supposed to be) when you are
driving, so it is easy to scan for back traffic as you along or are about to
do a maneuver.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have tried both types of
mirrors, I basically don't use the door mount mirrors on my newer cars
although they are adjusted for proper use, I do use the central main rear
view.

If you are putting a hardtop on the car or talking about a car like a B-GT
or Lotus Europa I would very strongly recommend the above set-up, if you are
going to drive your Healey with the top down most all the time it probably
doesn't matter quite as much, back view is good out the central rear view,
and you an check over the shoulder before maneuvers.

Just my opinion, have expressed this view many times on the list, but since
other opinions were strongly stated I decided to weigh in with another point
of view.

I hate to drill holes in new (or old for that matter) bodywork too, luckily
my BN1 came with the fender mounts already installed.

Greg Lemon
54BN1