Cooling Observations

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling Observations
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:33:34 -0700
A while ago I had a leaking freeze plug and replaced them all except the
back-of-the head one. This is a medium job requiring removing the manifolds.

When they were out, I noticed the bottom of my block had at least 1/2" of
muck, rocks, rust flakes, old gasket bits, etc in it.

With the freeze plugs out it was easy to backflush the block through the
lower radiator hose connection and use fingers and piece of wire to get all
the crud out. Ditto the head and its freeze plugs.

Unfortunately, I had to use a rubber plug in the lower rear position as I
was unable to install the metal one there.

Using a deep-fry thermometer in the thermo housing, I found my temperature
gauge shows around 22 degrees high. This is supposed to be quite common.

Driving 3500 rpms in top gear uphill through 95 degree heat to Tahoe a few
weeks ago, it showed around 205 on the gauge and didn't smell hot when I'd
stop.

I also have a new radiator, 6-bladed SS fan, extra shrouding across the top
front of the radiator, a modified fully-sealed fan shroud and a Nock thermo.

The only things left to do: convert from 50-50 coolant to water with
Water-Wetter and add an oil cooler. But I think the latter won't be
necessary except for "coolness" as opposed to cooling.

Another idea: build a scoop-type baffle across between the frame rails,
which extends from the area of the sway bar up to the bottom of the radiator
fins.

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA