FW: Rotor observations--correction

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Rotor observations--correction
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:35:10 -0700
Corrected a confusion in last paragraph.
--
Steve Gerow

----------
From: Steve B. Gerow <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:11:33 -0700
To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rotor observations

I have an original Lucas embossed-letter cap and what I take to be an
original rotor.

It is also embossed with "Lucas" and is a  symmetrical design with a
T-shaped brass piece as opposed to the P-shaped pieces on the new ones. The
brass piece is held in  place in a form-fitting recess with 2 built-in
plastic studs which are melted into rivets. It clears inside the cap by
about a millimeter.

The new rotor by UK Healey mentioned in Patton's post appears from his photo
to have the brass piece held in place by one similar melted stud. This looks
like a winner.

The commonly-available rotors appear to have drive-rivets, but I suppose
they could be cast in place. To me the drive-rivet is the weak point of the
replacement parts and the UK rotor is likely to be more reliable because it
won't have the stress cracks formed by driving a rivet into a brittle
medium.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA