Dern pilot bushing - tranny install problems

To: "healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dern pilot bushing - tranny install problems
From: "Scott Willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:02:54 -0500
Folks,
It's been a long time since I've had time to work on the mashed Healey. I
installed a new pilot bushing. Tried to put the tranny back in but the shaft
would not slide in the bushing. The tranny is so heavy and awkward I could
not tell if I was even near the hole. Lots o jacking of motor, changing
angles and grunting.

Is there a transmission lift/dolly tool made?

As I examined the pilot bushing with my finger I think I smashed it beating
it in with a socked and deadblow. I ordered a new bushing for quick delivery
and it looks terrible. It does not fit snug on the plastic clutch tool or
the shaft. Should it be snug or have a little slop?

I threw away the original bushing for this 26k mile car but I remember it
fitting tighter. Am I wrong to think a little slop can cause big problems
before I install? Or should I order another?

"The waiting is the hardest part". -T. Petty

Thanks for any advice/wisdom/etc...

Does anyone know if their will ever be a Healey Victory by Design program on
Speed? My poor little red MGA now thinks it's a 166 Ferrari.

Cheers,
Scott
Mashed 60 BN7
59 MGA